Thursday, September 13, 2007

And Three Becomes Four

We are now officially a family of four! We can't believe it, but are thrilled to announce that Juliana Brooks Giddens made her speedy (and early) appearance into the world on Monday, September 10th at 6:31 am. She weighed 8 pounds even and measured 18 inches long.The entire birth story is one for the record books of course. I began having contractions around 8:30 Sunday evening. Also around this time, I began to have some stomachaches from the spaghetti I had eaten earlier in the day. Around 11 pm the contractions began to get more intense and more regular. We left for the hospital around 2 am, but not before I had the chance to throw up about five times. Lovely, just lovely. So not only was I feeling labor pains, but I was also dealing with stomach and now, nausea pains.

Once we arrived at the hospital, the nurse hooked me up to check out my vitals, as well as the baby's. She discovered almost immediately that Juliana's heart rate was in the 180's and 190's. A normal baby heart rate is between 120 and 160. A high heart rate usually indicates some sort of fetal distress, which is never good. They continued to monitor me and told me that I really needed to go ahead and get an epidural (strike one for my labor goals) in case things went south quickly. If I didn't get the epidural, and then needed an emergency C-section, they would have to put me completely under with general anesthesia (no thank you!). After a few hours of no progression (I was only dilated to a 4) and Juliana's heart rate still running incredibly high, the doctor delivered the bad news: I would need another C-section (stike two and three for all my labor goals). They were really concerned about the baby and worried that with her heart rate being this high now, that the trauma of labor and delivery would make things even worse.

The surgery went fine and recovery has been a MILLION times better than with Everett. Thank goodness for modern medicine and competent doctors! And now, what you've all been waiting for: PICTURES!!!

Just cleaned up

Just barely clothed

Everett's first time in the hospital

He had a blast and didn't seem to mind that he hadn't seen his sister yet.

And now just general Giddens Family cuteness:





Oh, and the winners from the last post are:

Date: Heidi

Weight: Shanna

Time: Emily

Congrats to you three and you'll be receiving your prizes in the mail shortly.

22 comments:

robin marie said...

what a cutie pie baby! congratulations!!!!

Shanna said...

Congratulations!! She is adorable - I'm glad everything went smoothly (once they figured out what was going on and what to do) and that your recovery is going well. I love Everett's shirt too! I'm glad she's here :)

heidi said...

i think she looks like her mommy. and she is beautiful, por supuesto! that was my attempt at spanish with my live-in language translator helping me.
congrats again!
you should take everett to the hospital more often, he is absolutely beaming in that picture!

Shayleen Lunt said...

Hooray!!! What a journey she's been through in your belly and then getting here! I'm glad mommy and baby are recovering good. I hear that this delivery was much better on Will too.
Congratulations Giddens Family!

heidi said...

i meant withOUT thomas helping me. thanks for putting up with me!

Emily C said...

YAY! I've been checking your blog non-stop since I heard the news on Monday from Jess. I'm so glad to see pics! What a little sweet bundle of joy!!!

Robyn said...

Congratulations! She is so, so cute. And her mom looks pretty fabulous! Does this mean you're home? Does this mean no more food someone makes for you and brings to you on a tray? Ah, the comforts of hospital stays, right? We're so happy for you! Enjoy!

Marnie said...

Congrats, Natalie! I was wondering if you'd had the baby yet and feeling like a bad friend for not knowing. She is super cute!

lrbodine said...

Congrats!! I'm glad everyone is doing ok after the scary start there. She is adorable!

Clair said...

Wonderful news! Congrats to you and your adorable family! Sorry you weren't able to keep your labor goals...but hey, everyone is healthy and absolutely beautiful so that's what matters. Happy day! :)

Clair said...

p.s. Italian food made me go into labor with mine, too. haha

Anonymous said...

Congrats! She is adorable and looks like her mommy. Have fun with the new little one! Let the adventure begin! :)

Christianne said...

Congrats!!! She is so cute. You are too. I love Everetts shirt - how prepared you are to have a fun shirt like that for this occasion. I am glad she got here safe and that you are all okay.

Mindy said...

You did have an exciting birth story! I can relate. The best feeling is bringing home a healthy baby as a healthy mother. Take it easy as you recover from this c-section. You've got to heal so you can have many more c-sections! Good luck and enjoy your beautiful little girl!

Jessica said...

she IS cute as a button! what a little doll. and you look great. everett's shorts are really cute -- along with his shirt.

and i agree with heidi, i think she looks just like you! she even has your starry eyes. :) hope you're feeling good. talk to you later.

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I am so happy for you...and I am telling you when the c-sections are without labor they are just fine. You will recover like a champ! And could your little angel look anymore like you!?! What a doll! Congrats

Anonymous said...

Yooohooooo!!!! I'm so, so, so glad she finally came and you are all doing so fantastic! We are so excited for you Four-wow! Darn, I didn't win, but oh well. I had really hoped she would come sooner than my guess and wow, what a surprise!

Your kids are so super cute and adorable. Everett is such a funny cute big brother. I'm so sorry your labor plans/goals didn't go as hoped but I'm so glad it went much better, phew. I hope you continue to heal well and can get the time to rest. I can't wait to see more photos too :] But just enjoy these new moments and best of luck. I'm thinking that once you can get through 2 kids you've got to be able to do anything and have more kids too :] Enjoy and congrats!!! So cute!

Love, Chelsea & John
p.s. and i'm so glad John is such a good friend and could just talk to Will. he really enjoyed chatting w/ him and we CANNOT wait to see you guys!!!

CJ said...

Congrats, Natalie! She's a beauty!

Christina said...

Congratulations Natalie!! She's a cutie like her mom!

Lindsay said...

Congratulations! We are so happy that she made a safe trip into this world. And we're also so happy that you are feeling better! Whoo-hoo...go Natalie! She's beautiful!

kristenharris said...

She is adorable!!! Congratulations to all of your beautiful family! My c-section recovery was so much smoother than anyone thought it would be. For some reason when people hear c-section they think "Oh i don't want that to be me"--- but I walked every day, and recovered so much better than everyone told me I would. I literally did a back flip for my nephew at 5 weeks after I had Carson!!! You'll be fine!!! I'm so so happy for you, and can't wait to read the stories of the change from 1 child to two!!!

Rebecca said...

oh we are so glad for you!

About Me

My photo
Two crazy lovebirds + three cute kids = The Fab Five