Saturday, February 01, 2014

Baby, You Can Drive My Car

2014 marks Everett's first Pinewood Derby.  He's been looking forward to building his own Pinewood Derby car for awhile now.  He and Will discussed the specifics, because let's be honest, I'm no expert, and Everett decided on a classic car shape: the wedge. (I'll have to appeal to Will's extensive Pinewood Derby knowledge for verification of that last sentence.)


The other major, pressing, super important decision was color and theme.  Christmas brought us the new Star Wars trilogy, so now we have the entire hexology(? Is that the right term?). All three kids have spent a minute or 500 watching that fine ode to cinematic awesomeness, so we've been on Star Wars overload lately (a wonderful place to be!).  Everett wanted a black car, a la Darth Vader.  And Star Wars stickers, a la Star Wars.  It was more difficult than it should have been to find regular old Star Wars stickers.  Or more accurately, it was more difficult than the effort I was willing to put forth.  After the second store, I figured Angry Birds Star Wars stickers were just as good as the real thing.  Even better, really.  Thankfully, Everett is easily pleased and he agreed.


There were a total of 29 cars in the Derby.  The cars were all so cute!  I think 8-10 year old boys are wonderfully goofy and awkward.  It does my heart good to see that they all act about the same.




Here's a close up of E's homage to Star Wars.  It was tough narrowing the sticker choice down to only three.  Even though Everett chose "Darth Vader black" as his car color, he's a sucker for the good guys.  Luke, Obi-Wan and R2-D2 fit the bill quite nicely.


The top four fastest cars raced a final round of four races (each car raced once in each lane). 



 This boy was beside himself waiting for the results.


And victory was his!  Well, third place was his.  He was thrilled!  And so was I!  And so was Will!  In addition to a certificate, Everett also took home a pretty "sweet" trophy. 

 Bah-dum-dum.  Thank you, thank you.  I'll be here all week!


2 comments:

heidi said...

You can't go wrong with darth vader. He epitomises triumph.

Chelseanator said...

Congrats to Everett and the entire family! :] Sounds like a family affair :] Very awesome and exciting!

I'm so excited for your 'new' blog and hope to check in more also. You always crack me up and I always love to read your perspective and just about your life! I/we still miss you guys something fierce! So exciting its your BIG 10 YEARS in a just a few days! I sure hope Will sweeps you off your feet again and spoils your romantic heart :] Aww, man 10 years ago, all us newlywed couples....awwww... miss you all! Good times, good times!
Have a blast & enjoy~*

Lots of love, Chelsea~*

About Me

My photo
Two crazy lovebirds + three cute kids = The Fab Five