Although Hale has written a few other books (The Goose Girl and Princess Academy, for examples), this is her first foray into Adult Literature. And it was such a treat! Austenland tells the story of Jane Hayes, a 30-something woman who has a somewhat unhealthy obsession with Colin Firth a la Mr. Darcy from A&E's Pride and Prejudice. I mean who wouldn't? If you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about. The storyline, the dialogue and the looks, oh the looks! It's enough to make a girl swoon.
Anyway, back the book...
So when Jane's great-aunt dies, she leaves Jane a non-refundable three week vacation to Pembrook Park, an English resort where guests come to experience 1816 Regency England just as it would have been in Austen's time. Vacationers dress in empire waist dresses, talk the talk, take turns in the park, dance the dances - just like Austen's characters did in the books. Jane, whose love life is an abysmal mess and who is contemplating on giving up on men entirely, goes to Pembrook Park where she hopes to get over her unhealthy Mr. Darcy/Colin Firth obsession and perhaps move on with her life. Of course there are gentlemen. And a possible romance. If you're looking for a fun, easy read, definitely give Austenland a go.
Perfect for reading by the pool or on the beach!

11 comments:
You should rent becoming Jane. Great movie about her.
I totally agree, it was really good:)
Thanks for the recommendation!
Oh, I have to say that I didn't really like this book. I just finished reading it about a month ago for our ward book club and I was disappointed. The cheesy factor was just a little too high for me. And the predictable factor as well. Too much "escape literature" for me. I was sad about not liking it. Maybe I had too high of hopes for it, since I love anything Jane Austen as well.
I really liked it too, probably because of the cheese. I hated/didn't finish the jane austin book club though.
If you like mysteries as well try Jill Churchill books. I really enjoy them too. (skip the wedding one though- it is crap)
Oh I loved the cheese! And the predictability. Yes, this book will never win any major (or minor) awards, yes it doesn't use great diction or create incredible imagery, but dang if I didn't giggle through most of it and finish with a smile on my face.
Chris - Although I finished The Jane Austen Book Club, I wasn't a huge fan either. I've wondered if the movie was better? Does anyone know?
alright! a new book to put on my to-read list. i personally am a pretty big fan of escapist, fluffy reading. you gotta have some dessert every now and then, right? hahaha.
loved the easter pics in the previous post. and i'll have to give you a call back sometime this weekend so we can finish our conversation. :)
I'm also a fan, as you know. It's a "feel good" book, and with the chaos in my life, I enjoy just kicking back with one of those books now and then. I may have opened a can of worms in my book club with the choice. I can't wait to hear the discussion next month! I told them today that you are coming!
I LOVE this book! Soo great.
On your recommendation I went to the library and read this in one day. What a fun read!! I love quick predictable books. I passed in the recommendation to my other Austen lovin' friends! Thanks
Thanks for a great recommendation! I can't wait to read it... maybe I'll save it for the beaches of Hawaii in a month, since you said it was a great read by the beach :)
Nikki (Miller) McDougal
Post a Comment