Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The Blogger Returns

Yes, folks, it's true - I've returned!Now that I've had a two week break, I feel ready to blog again. Yea! While I've thoroughly enjoyed reading everyone else's updates, and although I really haven't been up to anything too exciting over the past two weeks, I'm still excited to update. Rest assured, this will be a random blog peppered with our recent to-do's as well as thoughts I've had over the last little while.

If you're reading this update via Bloglines or Google Reader, might I suggest you visit my actual site? Simply because I'm SOOOOOO excited that I've changed the template on my page. I've been aching for a three-column format for a long time now. Too long, actually. Something about taking a two week break really inspired me to make some long-anticipated blog changes. Can I tell you how much I love the new set up? Because I do. I really like that all my links and the archives are on the right side, while the other "fun" stuff is on the left. It's a little crowded, but I really love it. Thoughts?

Everett and Juliana have been wonderful lately. Everett still really loves his sister and Juliana is content to pretty much let Everett roll on top of her head or legs and then two seconds later give her hugs and kisses. Everett's been insisting on "holding" her quite a bit lately. And she's happy to sit next to him too.

Everett is turning into a smarty-pants, which is fun to watch. The poor kid can't say his "f's" or "g's" very well (or actually a few other sounds either), but it's so funny to hear him try. He still loves Curious George and Calliou. And holy cow has he been on a "The Incredibles" kick lately. Now that it's freaking hot as blazes outside, Everett's turned into quite the nudist. He loves to play in his pool naked and if I'd let him, would play in his sandbox naked as well (all together now - Ewwww!). Thankfully, I at least demand that he puts on a diaper to play with the sand. On Saturday he was outside "helping" my parents with yard work and decided then too that naked was the best way to go. And as much as he enjoys getting dirty and sweaty, he also loves to take a bath. There was one day when he took three baths in less than 24 hours. Oh, and he now loves Nursery! He's been pretty good about going in without too much of a fuss since December, but he's really come into his own with Nursery during the past two months. I'd venture to say he actually looks forward to Sundays when he can go to Nursery. Whew!
And Miss Juliana is a cutie. She is now 9 months old, has four teeth and is only now starting to crawl. Everett crawled at 6 months on the nose, so it's been interesting to see Juliana continue to just sit there. She's a funny one though since she will only crawl on super soft surfaces like beds or couches. Put her on one of those and off she'll go. Move her to the floor or carpet and she just sits there and cries. Is that weird or is it just me? She has almost completely shunned the bottle. I think she only drinks maybe 8 ounces a day. The rest of her liquid intake comes from Everett's sippy cups which she likes to steal. I got her her very own pink sippy cup, but whenever I offer her that one (which is EXACTLY like Everett's blue one that she keeps stealing), she looks at me with an "I'm supposed to drink this?" look and won't touch it. Hmm... She's been standing a lot more, which makes me think that yes, this child will walk someday. Other than that, she is content to sit (usually with me) and observe the mayhem that is her older brother. Chill and laid-back don't even begin to describe this gal.



*****************************************


Last week Will and I were on the other side of town trying to make our way to the interstate (they'd shut down the on-ramp we were going to take), so Will took some back roads to try to get us home. We were driving through a random neighborhood when I spotted this house under construction:

I was so excited, I made Will stop the car so I could snap some pictures. This folks, is a rough outline of my dream house. When we are ready to buy a house, or if we have the funds to build one ourselves, this is totally what I'd like to have. With Will's feet and back the way they are, stairs are a no-no for us. I am not an artist, but I've tried my hand at drawing up a floor plan for our future house and believe it or not, the outside would look a lot like this. I especially like where the front door is centered and how the house kind of makes a V shape. Plus, judging from the pictures (I didn't get to peek inside), it looks like the ceilings would be kind of high, which I like. I figure if we're going to have only one level, we may as well have vaulted ceilings. Who's with me?

*********************************************


Ok, I LOVE Facebook! This may be really silly to admit, but I find Facebook stalking so much fun. I have reconnected with folks that I knew in high school and college that I never in a million years would have even thought about except for Facebook. I love catching up with people ever so briefly by reading their profiles, looking through their pictures and I'm a BIG fan of my friends who update their status pretty regularly. It's great! If you're reading this and aren't on Facebook yet or we aren't friends yet, what's the holdup??



***********************************************


I got my hair cut almost two weeks ago and I love it! It's definitely shorter and it's one of those cuts that you can totally tell that I did something different to it. So why is it that almost NO ONE has said anything to me about it? I'm not dying for compliments, but I haven't even gotten uncomfortable, "Oh, you got your hair cut" kind of comments. Aside from Will, Paula and my mom, no one has said anything. Not even, "you look different". The general lack of noticing has led me to a few conclusions, any of which could be true.

1) People have noticed the cut, but think it stinks, and thus have refrained from saying anything
2) People simply don't notice me as much as I'd like to flatter myself that they do
3) Um, let's see...I'm really at a loss here.

So as you can see, with only two options that I can figure, I'm tempted to go with #1. Which is confusing since I think it's a nice cut and facially flattering. I'd post a picture right now, but I'm without a photographer and it's the end of the day. I need to take one in the morning right after I get ready. Maybe I'll put one up tomorrow and let you be the judge?

**UPDATED**

Ok, here are some pictures of me with my haircut. I took one with it parted either way. What say y'all?


Gosh, it's good to be back!

25 comments:

cindave said...

it's about time! i also love that house! anyhoo...good to have something new to look at during my obsessive hours of looking for new posts on people's blogs! talk to you soon!

Unknown said...

-I like the format. May I suggest a bigger margin between the first and second columns (so the text at the top isn't quite so close to the slideshow)?
-E is still not crawling either, much to her dismay. She is anything but chill about it.
-Love the house.
-I'm on facebook but pretty much only accept other people's invitations, look through their friends, and then invite any of their friends I know. I'm a facebook Lame-o.
-Post a picture of your hair! I bet it's adorable.

Whew.

Clair said...

welcome back! random comment, but we used to own that exact same green/yellow/blue plaid couch - that is, before we had a cat totally claw it to death and ended up craiglisting it. but either way, still funny coincidence.

Rebecca said...

well if you post a picture of your new do i am sure i would be able to tell you did something!! cannot wait to see the picture.

Shayleen Lunt said...

It's fun to have an update on the Giddens. I definitely want to see the haircut. I hated my hair when I got it cut two months ago and now I think I might give it one more try. I'm calling the stylist in the morning and so give me a new idea to try ;)

Jessica said...

natalie! yay! oh how i've missed you!! loved the post. i totally understand about the blogging funk you posted about last time, because i'm right smack-dab in the middle of one myself.

i LOVE the picture of the kids right before the pictures of the house. it just screams sibling love. it is so cute. and that house looks awesome. i hope you can get one just like it REAL soon.

and as for your hair, i find it hard to believe that no one has commented on the 'do. and i can't even believe you left your captive audience hanging without posting a picture of it. i'm sure its cute, so i can't wait to see a picture of it.

as for facebook, i don't quite know what to do with it. maybe you could give me a tutorial with it one of these days? talk to you later.

Emily C said...

hahaha - you post cracked me up. i couldn't totally hear your "tone" in it, and heard your voice throughout!

A) love the 3 column layout. i may need to figure out how to do that in the future, b/c my side line crap is growing out of control.

B) i want to see a picture of your new haircut.

C) thanks for the comment on Facebook. i've gotten more into it recently as well. i love seeing where everyone i went to high school has ended up, since i didnt' keep in touch with any of them. ha!

D) your kiddos are adorable!!! little miss Juliana is quite the little darling. i wish i could meet your kids one day.

E) love the house. its practical and lovely. you will need to follow that house through, and post pics when its complete.

hmmm what else... that was a long post. loved it all!!

Emily C said...

please note, that in the first sentence "couldn't" should be "could"

(going to fast over here, trying to get out of the office.)

Amanda and Steve said...

Glad you're back! I always enjoying reading your blog and seeing cute pictures of my baby cousins. I love the house, too!

Sarah S said...

I'm excited to see your hair! I think it's lame that people haven't made any comments yet. Maybe they're afraid to since it's a big change?

And I agree that it's so fun when you spot your dream house. Welcome back to blogging! I like your new format. (I'm glad you said to check it out, because I'm often on google reader...)

heidi said...

emily is correct about tone. i could hear your voice the whole time. and thank YOU for updating your status. i am a status junkie. except when people say- heidi is bored. that is lame!

Megan said...

Ha so glad you are back! Great blog! I love your hair...very cute!

Anonymous said...

Isn't my wife gorgeous?!?! I really like her new haircut.

Rebecca said...

LOVE the hair, my fav is the second picture!

Robyn said...

I love the haircut. Did Libby do it?

I haven't gotten on Facebook because I think it's sometimes a mad dash to amass the most "friends". Matt has a couple of people HE HAS NEVER HAD A CONVERSATION WITH ask to be his friends. People he barely knows by sight. I can't help but scoff when that happens. But keeping in touch is nice, so I do understand the draw. Can you convince me of its greatness?

Jodi said...

Love the hair- it's hip and so very summer chic.

klonghall said...

Your haircut is super-cute! I'm sorry I didn't say so on Sunday. I'll blame it on the distractions of my talk and new calling...

We missed you at our cookout last night. Bridger was really hoping you guys would make it. Let me know if you want to swim with us another time. We spend lots of hours out there.

'Glad you're back in the blog world, too.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad you are back too and that you had all happy news to report on. I was expecting you to post about some far away amazing trip you've been off too :] but that's ok, all of your updates were great. It nice to just enjoy summer and take a break from everything!!! Your kids are so cute and really funny. I can't believe Everett and his extreme comfort of being naked-wow! And Juliana is changing in looks soo much, sounds likes she's quite the princess-what a cutie! I love your haircut and think it looks fabulous! Its always nice to just have people notice and comment, it makes a huge deal. Oh and I love your dream house too, that is pretty sweet and looks perfect for the Giddens family! Can't wait to come visit you all in it someday!!! Take care and enjoy your summer!

Love, Chelsea
p.s. i'm not on facebook either but really want too, i just need to find some time and good pictures to post! i'm dying to find old friends out there too!

SHANNA said...

i LOVE your haircut. i too feel that way when i do something different with my hair. atleast you got attention from will, paula and your mom.... my own husband doesn't notice and mom and sister only say something b/c i bring it up!! you are so funny. oh by the way, i think your hair looks better parted on the left! super cute. i'm glad Julianna doesn't mind everett's aggressive loving ways, i know some nursery friends who don't feel the same way!! J/K! i'm glad you're back!!

Andrea, Mrs. said...

I LOVE the hair. I LOVE the house. I LOVE the new layout. Yah, I've been missing your posts.

Melissa Zuber said...

I love reading your blog, I am glad that you are back on the blogger scene. The house is really nice. Your babies are too cute. I love the hair!!! I love short hair, it lifts your face and shows your smile.

Emily C said...

Natalie - i sure am glad that i checked back and i see there is an update! your new cut looks very fresh and perfect for summer. i personally think its super cute. i recently went (a little) shorter for the summer, and i'm thinking i might take off an extra 1 (maybe 2 inches) next time around. very cute!

heidi said...

love the new cut. i can't think of the exact word i want to use...fresh? versatile? chic and casual at the same time?
also, how did you like bergdorf blondes?

Mandy said...

Yay! I'm glad you're back. I've missed your creative posts!

Mindy said...

Nat, I never feel witty or creative enough to keep up on blogging. Your blog is always wonderfully entertaining and uplifting. I have no idea about facebook and I feel like I should since all of the YW in our ward are on it. I should be checking up on them. Maybe I need a class in facebook. You've encouraged me to give it a closer look. Love the house too!

About Me

My photo
Two crazy lovebirds + three cute kids = The Fab Five