Sunday, August 16, 2009

The End of an Era

Anyone who's spent more than 10 minutes with me over the past three years has probably heard me mention or reference blogging in some way. I've loved blogging! I've always been one to champion its virtues (it's easy, it's fun, a great way to stay connected, practically like a journal, etc) and downplay its vices (stalkers, people stealing your family pictures, strangers knowing what you're up to, time consuming, etc). When I started blogging in January of 2006 (I know, THAT long ago), I forsaw myself keeping a blog for the rest of children's growing up years. That isn't the case anymore.

As evidenced by my lack of regular posts this year, I've been thinking/debating for awhile now about blogging and what precisely I'm accomplishing by doing it. As an outgoing, gregarious person, when I began blogging I was all about the comments, ie, attention. I tried to be funny and witty so as to garner the most comments possible. Over time, although the comments were great, they began to matter to me less and less.

I don't know if it's because I'm hitting 30 later this year and with age if I'm turning into a more private person, but I find that I'm no longer as interested in sharing my family's life with the World Wide Web. I've had a Site Meter on my blog from almost the very beginning and it's been enlightening to see where visitors were coming from. I can confidently say I've had blog visitors from almost every state and around 25-30 countries. It hasn't bothered me to have the virtual company. So it isn't so much an issue of, "There are crazy psychos out there who could find me and my family and do us harm" or even "I don't want everyone and their dog to know my business," although that does play into it a little (Read this blog to see what I mean about the crazies: http://www.extraordinarymommy.com/blog/are-you-kidding-me/stolen-picture/)

It's more about me. I find myself wasting A LOT of time blogging. Typing blogs, reading blogs, trying to find people's blogs, or blog surfing for fun. After reading this talk by Elder Bednar: "Things As They Really Are"( http://lds.org/library/display/0,4945,538-1-4830-1,00.html) and doing some introspection, I've simply come to the conclusion that it's time I step away from family blogging and pursue other, hopefully more worthwhile (for me) activities.

Thanks to all the readers and commenters I've had over the years. More often than not, the comments were better and funnier than my posts. And not to worry, you can still find me at other places on the Internet (read: Facebook, Goodreads, Shelfari, email, etc.). I may be quitting blogging, but there's no way I could stay completely out of touch!

In the immortal words of Ah-nald, "Hasta la vista, baby."

12 comments:

Shayleen Lunt said...

Natalie - now I'll never know what you and Will are up to. I know you probably don't care about that though ;)

heidi said...

it will be much harder to murder you in your bed now.

but seriously. this is an excellent post. thought provoking. this is a subject that has been on my mind a TON lately. i miss reading real books. i miss staring out into space and not composing blog posts in my head. i was even composing a blog post in my head on this very subject. it's a manic cycle! my list of blogs i read is wittled down to almost nothing anymore. i'll miss you my friend. we'll see how much longer i last.
perhaps we can use that email thing again? is that still around?

SHANNA said...

oh man- you will be missed!! good thing you are close b/c then i would really miss you. have fun getting things done!

Jacki said...

Natalie...Boo! I love your blog and look forward to every post. I will miss you but I totally understand. I used to post something at least twice a week and now I feel good posting something at least once a month.

I guess this means that we will have to have a face to face relationship and not just a cyber relationship. Works for me!

Rodela Family said...

so sad, I will miss seeing pics of your cute kids and hearing your family updates but I understand!

Bryce said...

Well it will be a sad day to no longer see how or what your family is up too. But good for you doing something you feel is right.

Christy said...

I will miss reading about you guys, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

Emily C said...

i agree with heidi, very thought provoking.

its just really intersting to me to look back at the beginning of blogging. i started blogging shortly after you, jessica and heidi did. and originally it was a smaller personal way of communicating and seeing what people are up to - but without the "showing off" and trying to "one up others". it started very innocently, and i loved it. i've thought much about quitting the blog world over the past year... but never really had a good enough reason too, b/c my main friends were still doing it. but i think you are on to something natalie...i think this might be the beginning of the end. i don't know how much longer i will last.

heidi, i love your sincere honesty as well. b/c i too will be day dreaming about my blog post while i am doing "something of interest" - which actually takes away from the raw fun of it.

well i love our friendship, so we'll have to stay in touch the "old fashion way" - email and phone.

thanks for your blog post.

Clair said...

I don't blog anymore either. What happened to us?! Didn't we both used to be queens of the blog world? So true...end of an era. Are you planning on journaling your family experiences other ways??

Jensen Fam said...

I'll miss keeping up with you guys! Will definitely see you on Facebook though! I agree with your blogging thoughts and have contemplated the same things. You are a great mom! Hope to see you guys soon!

Alison B said...

you know, we will still read even if you aren't witty. I'll sure miss seeing pictures of the kids and seeing what you are up to.

lrbodine said...

While I definitely think this is a personal choice, I have to look at the flip side and be reminded of a talk by Elder Ballard where he encouraged blogging for the good that can be done. I know I've gone through my google reader and narrowed down the blogs I read and I only do my personal blogging about once a week - but it's more for my own journaling sakes to. I don't feel like it sucks as much time as it did a couple years ago! Anyway - you better keep us updated through e-mail and Facebook and such!

About Me

My photo
Two crazy lovebirds + three cute kids = The Fab Five