Friday, August 07, 2009

My GWTW Challenge

I have a confession to make: I’ve never read “Gone With the Wind.”

There, it’s out.  I’m coming clean.  For most people, the fact that they’ve never read Gone With the Wind is no biggie.  But for me, born and raised in the South, in Atlanta no less, with both the Gone With the Wind museum AND the Margaret Mitchell house not even 30 minutes from my front door, and with the Blue Willow Inn about an hour away (where Margaret Mitchell is said to have visited on numerous occasions and one of the inspirations for Tara), it’s a borderline travesty.

I have seen the movie.  And I liked it.  But as is the case with most movie adaptations, I’ve heard the book is better.  It’s just one of those books I’ve never gotten around to reading.   And that would probably still be the case if it weren’t for a particularly persistent friend who went as far as to mail me my very own paperback copy of this novel last summer.  I promised her then that I would read it, but as we were dealing with a lot of rather stressful things, I readily admit I kept thinking, “I can't think about this now. I'll go crazy if I do. I'll think about it tomorrow.”  Sadly, there have been quite a few tomorrows since Heidi first mailed me the book and I still have yet to read it.  How fickle is woman!  Well, no more!

So it is with much eagerness that I attempt to tackle “Gone With the Wind” during the month of August.  Upon punishment of being referred to as a weakling to all of Facebook, and as God as my witness, I will read in it’s entirety, “Gone With the Wind” before the month of August is complete.  If that’s not a binding promise, well then frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn.

8 comments:

Julia said...

GWTW is the only book that I have read twice. I was in the 6th grade and I read it while I worked at my father's grocery store.

heidi said...

you are a true friend. i am so overcome by this post and the use of DIRECT quotes and references that i could just die! you are just "the cutest little trick in shoe leather."
i think i need to get to the library to check out the carnation instant breakfast ivy league series in order to keep up my end of the deal! i am all over that like "a duck on a june bug".
good luck and enjoy. and remember, "tomorrow is another day!"

Paula said...

this post made me laugh out loud. have fun with the book-it's a long one.

klonghall said...

I've never read it either, and I grew up in Clayton County where Tara was. It just hasn't ever interested me. Scarlett, in the movie, is so annoying. I'm eager to hear how you like it.

Susan said...

It's one of my favorite books. I love it...hope you do too. I'm so glad tht you have decided to be a good southern girl and read it. HA HA

SHANNA said...

oooh!! that sounds like fun. i have not read GWTW either, so if it is one that you enjoy, i might take it off your hands when you are done! good luck and good reading.

Amanda and Steve said...

Go Natalie! I love that book!

Emily C said...

i can't believe you are friends with heidi and you've never read this book! this is a shocking announcement!! hahaha

About Me

My photo
Two crazy lovebirds + three cute kids = The Fab Five