Since Everett is starting Kindergarten in a week, I've been reflecting on this little guy a lot lately. While I am BEYOND excited for him to take the first step on his schooling path (which I've informed him doesn't end until after four years of college and at least two years of graduate school), I still can't believe it's been almost six years since he was born! As I wrote in an email to a friend last week, with a few exceptions here and there, he's been my constant companion since the day he was born.
Everett is a great kid and a wonderful little person. I always want to remember how he is at this age. He is kind and sweet. Loving and sensitive. Fun and funny. Smart and observant. I'm constantly telling Juliana and Giselle how lucky they are to have such a sweet/kind/nice older brother.
Everett has never met a stranger. I love to sit back and watch him in new situations. He seems to be able to go up to any group, say hi, and then start playing. And other kids just gravitate to him. In fact, just yesterday after church was over and we were in the hallway waiting for Will, a 12 or 13 year old boy just starting chatting with Everett. The young man asked Everett what grade he was going into and Everett proceeded to tell him everything from what school he'll be attending to his favorite color to his baby sister's name and then Juliana's favorite color.
Everett inherited some of his best qualities from Will. Everett is thoughtful and observant. And he is generous with his compliments. He notices when I make even the slightest change to my appearance and willingly tells me that I look pretty, which I appreciate since I rarely feel so! He is sensitive to his sisters and (most of the time) doesn't like to see them upset. He is a great protector of Juliana, especially. He makes sure she is included since they are usually playing with kids that are more his age than hers.
Like most kids his age, Everett is a sponge for learning. He's constantly asking questions and once he's discovered an answer, he'll tell/teach everyone he meets about it. Currently, he's fascinated with numbers, time and days of the week/months of the year. We go to the library at least once a week and he loves to pick out books. I hope that he always enjoys reading.
I couldn't have picked a better first-born for our family. He's a great example to his sisters and seems to take his responsibility as the oldest in stride. Everett gives great hugs and kisses. My fingers are crossed that he'll always be somewhat affectionate with his Mommy and Daddy.
Anyway, a long, rambling post about our little man. We're excited for this new adventure and I wanted to make sure I put down some thoughts before I blink and he's leaving for college!

2 comments:
What a sweet post. And just so you know, you ARE very beautiful. I think it all the time. I should just say it. So I am. :D
lovely. i have always liked that everett. i'm a big fan of kids who include others. i can't believe i only just NOW thought of his nickname. i'm usually quicker than that. in my book he is no longer everett francisco, he is mount everett.
Post a Comment