Thursday, January 24, 2008

Ticket to Ride: It's a Good Thing

For all of you who enjoy a good game, could I please suggest one of my new favorites? It's called "Ticket to Ride" and it is simply fabulous!

We received this blessed game as a gift from a secret Santa. This secret Santa was good because not only have they yet to reveal themselves (hence the entire purpose of it being secret), but they also know us pretty darn well to send us such a fun game. We've played it plenty of times since Christmas and each time we play I get more ideas of effective strategies.

Basically, the point of the game is to build railroad routes between major cities in the U.S. You gain the ability to "lay tracks" by drawing different colored rail cards. Once you have enough of the same colored rail cards, you can lay down your route between two cities.

To add to the fun, at the beginning of the game each player draws destination cards. You are responsible for fulfilling those cards and by doing so, you get bonus points. For example, if your destination card says "Los Angeles to Miami: 26 points", when you build the route from L.A. to Miami, you get the 26 points. Should you fail to do so, you are penalized those 26 points.

The real excitement of the game comes from the fact that the other people you're playing with are trying to fulfill their own destination cards and at any point in time, may completely mess up your strategy. The direct route may not always be the easiest to complete!

And should you need more convincing, it might interest you to know that "Ticket to Ride" won the German Game of the Year in 2004. As you may, or may not, know games that win the GGotY award are usually stellar. Those Germans really know their board games.

So if you are hankering for a fun, new game to try, my endorsement goes to "Ticket to Ride." It's fun, it's easy to learn the rules and if my sister, Paula, likes it, then you KNOW you have a winner on your hands. That Paula, she's a tough cookie.

9 comments:

heidi said...

paula likes it??? well, then that changes everything! sign me up!

Sarah S said...

You are the third friend who has commented or posted about this game. I bet it will be just as big (or bigger) than Settlers of Catan...

Emily C said...

dang! this game looks so fun. the way you describe it, it sounds like a "Settlers" game or "Risk". b/c it involves strategy. i love that kind of stuff. i've never even seen this. i want it!!

Jessica said...

hahaha. i was laughing out loud with your paula bit. i have to second this game. it is totally addicting and so much fun. and, i might add, your stragies change, too, based on how many people you're playing with. a 2 person game has a much different strategy than a 4 person game, for example. way to go secret santa! do you have any ideas at all of who it might be??

we still need someone to teach us how to play settlers. *sigh* its too bad y'all don't live closer!

Stefanie H said...

Hello! I know we don't know each other haha, But i saw your blog through jessica marsaws! She's in my ward at church but anyway, I just think your kiddos are ABSOLUTELY the cutest i think i've ever seen haha. I enjoyed reading your blog! way cute!! :)

robin marie said...

that game looks really fun!

Paula said...

ha ha sooo funny. But seriously, this game is a lot of fun and it is easier than Settlers. I may win one of these days and for me to actually win a game will be amazing.

lrbodine said...

We love that game too! We haven't bought it yet but played it with some friends in Utah when we were there for Thanksgiving. I've been trying to find the best deal on it! :)

Anonymous said...

I discovered that game in August and bought it soon after. I play it as much as possible. It's awesome. I am always yellow and some how almost always win. Its all about the northern route and the 6s. I have a friend who plays it online against her friends around the country. We might have to do this sometime. I call yellow.

About Me

My photo
Two crazy lovebirds + three cute kids = The Fab Five