does commemorate a less than happy event. April 19th, 2003 is the date of Will's rock climbing accident. The accident that has had such a ripple effect on every other aspect of his life. I've been ever mindful that it was this Saturday for about a month now. I don't really want to repeat everything I wrote last year, or bore those who already know the story, but I would like to record my feelings about this date, especially for posterity's sake, so here I go...Whenever April 19th rolls around I'm always filled with so much gratitude for Will.
I always love, admire and respect him, but when April 19th gets here, I'm filled to the brim with love and gratitude for this amazing person I'm lucky enough to call my husband. How lucky am I that he survived the accident and came back to Georgia and met and married me? How lucky am I to have a husband who is so perfectly suited for me and my personality? How lucky am I that we have such a wonderful, happy and fulfilling marriage? How lucky am I to see him be such a devoted and loving father to our two kids? I call it lucky here, but I truly know that Will's life was spared for a reason and there really wasn't any luck involved. I firmly believe Heavenly Father had and still has a special plan for Will's life and that April 19th, 2003 simply wasn't his time to leave this earth.
Will is such a example of strength. For those of you who know him personally, you may have noticed he rarely mentions the pain he's in or that he's uncomfortable in any way. In fact, a lot of folks have told us that they even forget Will's disabled at all. As his wife, I get to see first hand the hardships he endures on a daily basis. From getting out of bed, going up and down stairs, to working in the yard, or running around with Everett. All very simple tasks and yet each provide their own challenge to him and his feet and legs. He rarely complains - even to me. In fact, he usually has a humorous comment and a ready laugh for everyone he meets. I often look at him in sheer amazement that one individual could be asked to endure so much.
And yet he does so, with hardly a complaint.
As April 19th is a Saturday this year it's been especially poignant as it was a Saturday five years ago. Sometimes I wish we could turn back time and have things turn out differently, but then I remember that although the accident was terrible, it brought Will and I together and that has been the biggest, most amazing blessing to us both. And so, today marks another year that I've been able to enjoy Will. Here's to many more and happy April 19th to everyone!

7 comments:
Wow - five years! I would really like an update on his legs and ankles! I know surgery was in the future? My dad still asks how our "friend with the bad back and ankles" is. He felt a definite connection with him, his accident, injuries and pain.
amen! your remembering this anniversary reminded me of an anniversary our family remembers (april 6th) when we almost lost my sister in an accident (my mom wrote about it on her blog if you want to see).
what an amazing post. it brought tears to my eyes and chill bumps to my arms. will it such a great person. what an amazing outlook on it all.
Wow. It's interesting looking back when you reach milestones like this. Congratulations on all that you've done in just five years time!!
You two are so cute together.
Strange that Brent visited Will when he was in the hospital.
He sounds like a great man.
Wowzeers, another Apirl and 5 years!!! That's so crazy. I knew something else was happening last week, but couldn't remember until I read your blog. We are still amazed by Will too and his recovery and strength. Its an incredible example to everyone. We are so glad you two are together and that we are friends w/ you! We'd love an update too on everything and hope its all working out! Best of luck! Oh and I really love that last photo of you two lovebirds, what a fun day that was!!!! :]
Love, Chelsea
So good to see you guys tonight! You two are an amazing couple and seem to fit so perfectly. :)Oh and I found a picture of us at the beach from the good old single days - I'll post it - its awesome!
Post a Comment