For starters, let me state that I'm not the most creative/crafty gal on the block. Martha Stewart, rest assured I'm not going to be taking your job from you anytime soon! As far as good activities for Everett the only thing that comes to my mind is a quiet book.
As for other ideas, I'm guessing some good activities would involve "soft" things like cotton, felt and ...??? crickets chirping
So consider this my plea for help!!
Do you have any suggestions for things I can make/do/pack for Everett for Sunday meetings? I don't care if you know me, know me through a friend of a friend, or are simply clicking on blog links from other pages and happened to stumble onto here - leave me a comment and throw a sadly uncreative mom a bone!

9 comments:
this is quite the timely post! we have found basic wooden puzzles to be very effective, especially if they are of tractors or animals or musical instruments. also, hard back picture books are great. we even have one of joseph smith's first vision(lift the flap version).
i knew this fantastic lady that would laminate pictures from the friend and cut them into puzzles. she would then back them with felt so that they would stick to the pew. i haven't tried that yet, but i want to.
finally, reagan loves to color, or make me draw garbage trucks, but paper is sooo loud. make your own wipe off board by laminating cardstock. simple wax crayons/or dry erase markers will wipe off with paper towels.
good luck. the end.
Wow, after reading Heidi's comment I feel like I have no ideas. However, I did make a quiet book for Wesley -it still isn't finished but it wasn't so hard. I just cut shapes out of felt and sewed snaps on them so he could match the shapes and another one with buttons and flowers and zipper tent with a drawing inside etc. Mostly we bring treats and cars to church...but mostly he plays with the hymn books :)
I'll share our favorites - but they are store bought...
STICKERS! If you get those dot stickers in the isle with other labels and stick several of those on him really quick, it will take him a few quiet minutes to find them and pick them all off. Other favorites is the mini magna doodle, Crayola's color wonder markers, & big plastic beads with a shoelace to string them on.
ps felt does stick great on the back of pews, but I've only tried it with Olivia's felt dolls...nothing boyish
Good luck!
There are fabric book kits you can buy at Joann's and in the craft section at Walmart. Or even easier solution - check a consignment sale or craigslist for some second hand quiet books.
Coloring has helped us with Owen but only for 5 minutes at a time. If you have ever been to my ward you'll know I'm the last to be giving quiet time advice.
Lots of luck!
April
I think everyone's comments are wonderful ideas! I especially relate with Shayleen's. I remember her telling about stickers and I think that's a fabulous idea. My sister has a mine magna doodle too and her boy loves it! She also got a little pack of those water markers (i think that's also what Shayleen is talking about). She got them at Toys R Us and they are really cool, quiet, and fun. The picture appears with the water markers.
I think I've seen patterns too to make your own quiet book at fabric shops. My mom made us one to just look at. She took a photo abulm and just inserted a bunch of church, temple, prophets, etc. pictures. You could find old church magazines (ask around in the ward, I'm sure people have stacks of them. Oh have you also seen those things people make: its like a bean bag but it has a clear thick plastic window and inside of it are a ton of tiny little objects. Its also filled w/ little clear bead things and the kids can move it and look around to find all the objects. I'll have to take a picture of mine (my sister-in-law made me one) Its way cool and fun. Good luck! You can do it!
I remember my grandma always had a tiny little pair of scissors in her purse and she would make us paper dolls-yeah a boy would like that :] Oh what about an Etcha-Sketch!!!! I love those things!!!
Love, chelsea
haha...I would just buy it for $20 and be done with it. So much easier :)
check out this website. make sure you click LDS products.
www.time4felt.com
see if it helps.
For some reason when my little brother was 3 or 4, he LOVED these laminated picture books that my mom would make with cut outs of his family members, favorite objects, pets, etc. All the pics were just taken from normal pictures my mom took with her camera, cut out and laminated into little books. You can also draw trees and things around them to fancy it up. She also would label them "Dad", "Mom", "cat". Everett is probably too little to read but maybe a good idea for learning vocab or when he's older. At his age he'd probably just enjoy the pictures.
Post a Comment