Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My British Boyfriends

Will and I have a running joke between us about each other's "boyfriends" and "girfriends". These are famous people (actors, athletes, musicians) that we find attractive. I'll admit it, there are certain movies I watch simply for the eye candy. For example, a few years back I used to have a thing for Freddie Prinze Jr. I know, I know, the boy can't act to save his life, but I watched "Down to You", "She's All That" and "Head over Heels" simply to watch Mr. Prinze Jr. on the big screen. Lame? Sure. Fun? You betcha!

Will's current girlfriends include the likes of Catherine Zeta Jones, Salma Hayek, Ava Mendes, Rachel Weisz and Gwen Stefani. All very beautiful women to be sure. (As a side note, why is it that guys in general find Gwen Stefani hot? What am I missing here that I think she's weird looking? Does anyone agree with me? Anyone? Anyone?)

Since I have a thing for British accents, British movies and England in general, it should come as no surprise that a few of my current boyfriends hail from Mother England. Here are some of my current faves, in no particular order:

Ahhh, Mr. Bloom. I first fell in love with him as the very white, very clean elf in "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy. Something about how he seemed to glow, while every other character was covered in filth, really appealed to me. Plus, he was spot on with every arrow that flew from his fingertip. Imagine my giddiness when the "Pirates" movies came out. Yummy! Orlando did lose a few points with me when he starred in that debacle of a movie known as "Elizabethtown", but he still made the list.
Mr. Darcy! Who that has watched "Pride and Prejudice" or either of the Bridget Jones' movies can help but to have a thing for Colin Firth? Oh! Or "What a Girl Wants" with Amanda Bynes where he played her dad. Heck yeah! I even caught some of the edited "Love Actually" and he was spectacular in that as well. He is totally dreamy and does the smoldering look thing pretty well to boot.
A newer fave who seems to have quite a few movies coming out. I first saw Hugh Dancy in "Ella Enchanted" with Anne Hathaway. He was so cute and fun! And then I heard he was in "Evening" with Claire Danes (who I believe he's dating). Also, I just saw the BBC version of the George Eliot novel, "Daniel Deronda" where Hugh starred as Deronda and let me tell you, it was three hours well spent! I think it's those blue eyes. And the smile. Also, he was in the recent flick "The Jane Austen Book Club", which I have yet to see, but really want to because I found out Hugh's in it.


Ahhh, Jonathan Rhys Meyers. Totally dreamy - Again, I think it's the eyes. And actually, I believe he's Irish, not British, but close enough for me. I first caught a glimpse of him in "Bend it Like Beckham", which despite what Will says, IS a good movie! Then he popped up in "Mission Impossible:3" and played King Henry in a Showtime miniseries "The Tudors". And now with the holiday movie season on hand, he's starring with Miss Felicity herself, Keri Russell, in "August Rush", which I have to admit, I'm dying to see simply because he's in it.


So there you have it. I just realized that all these guys are brunettes, while most of the guys I liked while dating were blondes. And obviously, Will is blonde too. Hmm, I wonder what that says about me? Anyway, who are you into these days? And men, don't be afraid to comment!

18 comments:

Alison B said...

I think Gwen stefani is a little weird looking, too. I have to agree with your taste, except for Mr. Darcy. I don't see his appeal, either. :)

heidi said...

i have a crush on gwen because she is sort of old hollywood meets a pinball machine meets a cartoon kind of glamorous. and i love that her baby's name is kingston. i would love a little kingston simpson.
and...
is that why we saw all those freddie prinze movies??? i never knew! she's all that is my fave.

Anonymous said...

I so agree w/ you about Gwen, I've never figured her out either. Oh I have to agree w/ the rest of the ladies for Will though, they are beautiful women (and some of them are brunettes too!)

I totally agree w/ you about Orlando Bloom-wow! And yes, I thought the same thing in Lord of the Rings!!! I'm not not familar w/ the rest of the guys though. But the blue eyes are always a weakness for me :] Is that the Mr. Darcy in the newer Pride and Prejudice w/ Keira Knightly?

I'm loving Matt Damon these days............oh man...can't get enough of Bourne! :]

Love, Chelseaaaah

Rodela Family said...

So funny that Will is into Catherine Zeta Jones because my hubby is too. In fact, when we were engaged I had a screen saver of Brad Pitt and George Clooney on my computer so he thought it was only right to have one of Catherine! I'm with you on the English Hollywood men though, they are pretty dreamy!

Anonymous said...

Oh Nat, how you make me giggle! You know that I have always had a disliking for Gwen since my love for Gavin Rossdale was interrupted by their marriage! Dom and I too have our famous people we like! My boyfriend happens to be the wonderful David James Elliot...also known as the guy from JAG! I wake up early just to see my cute boyfriend on USA. Dominic likes Sandra Bullock and I have to agree she is such a cutie. Those are our picks! love ya

jessica said...

I love British men too! I think Colin Firth is a great actor. I just saw him in the movie Nanny McPhee.

Christina said...

I like your pics because not only are they hot, they are not as in your face and overdone as the mainstream ones (Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise and Leo get uglier and uglier the more I see them politicizing). Underrated and mysterious is definitely better.

Salt H2O said...

You can't mention Colin Firth and not mention the Importance of Being Ernest- one of the best movies of all time.

Melissa said...

I have always thought Tom Cruise was hot. Is that lame or cliche now?

Clair said...

Yes, England has all the hotties. To add to your already delicious list ... Matt Bellamy of Muse and Bear Grylls of Man vs Wild. mmmmmmmmmmmm

Of course there are always the fictional characters I'm in love with, too....like Edward AND Jacob :)

As for my husband, he's all about Jessica Alba. Ya, can't blame him on that one.

Will and Natalie Giddens said...

Bear is a hottie!

Although Will and I were discussing last night that he probably doesn't date much because really, who wants to date a guy who gets H2O from 1) his own urine (the Outback episode) or 2) elephant dung (one of the Africa episodes)? (It was NASTY! He had brown stuff dripping down his face.)

lrbodine said...

I like your choices! I too had a thing for Freddie Prinze Jr. - I even dated a guy that looked just like him. Michael Vartan is one of my favorites. And I think I have "tv boyfriends" - Jack from Lost, Sawyer from Lost, and now Chuck from (Chuck). I should go and find their real names but I am too lazy for that one!

Clair said...

haha....so true Natalie! But that is the true test of someone's hottness...that you could still be attracted to someone even after seeing them climb into a dead camel carcus and drinking their own urine. In some ways, I think that is part of the attraction. He's a REAL MAN! lol!!

Mrs. B said...

Natalie, I just read this and I LOVE Jonathan Rhys Meyers too. His eyes are amazing. I loved him in Bend it Like Beckham and recently saw this freaky Woody Allen movie with him and Scarlett Johansson in it, and he won my heart again :)

Unknown said...

Bear on Man vs. Wild is very hot. I told my husband that and he was really mad at me! :) He'll just have to deal. I also find Chris Carrabba from Dashboard Confessional to be incredibly good looking. I am especially fond of his tattoos (bad Erin!).

I definately watch P&P (over and over again) just for Mr. Firth.

Anne said...

Did Colin Firth really play in pride and prejudice with Keira knightley ? I didn't recognise him in the film !!! He played in Mamma Mia, as one of the 3 supposed-to-be dads, it was great !!
I just saw Hugh Dancy in his new movie with Isla Fisher, he's so good !!!
I totally agree with you for Jonathan Rhys Meyers - and it's definitely the eyes !!!!!! he is so cuuuute in bend it like Beckham.
I'm jealous of Keira Knightley : she got to be with him in that one AND with Orlando Bloom in Pirates of the caribbean !!!
I'd add Daniel Radcliff - blue eyes again - but no one agrees with me !!

Anonymous said...

No. Colin Firth was in an earlier version of "Pride and Prejudice" put out in 1995 as a mini series. Jennifer Ehle was Elizabeth. I went from my own unreasonable prejudice about the story to loving it because of that mini series.

It's about six hours long and worth every one.

Christia said...

Ok, so I randomly stumbled upon your blog, looking for pictures of my new 'boyfriend' Hugh Dancy! You have fabulous taste!! I love some British boys myself! ;)

About Me

My photo
Two crazy lovebirds + three cute kids = The Fab Five